Watch in Tamil What is Anti Satellite Missile System and How it can destroy spy satellites up in the orbit at 300KM altitude.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed to the nation that ASAT missile system code named Mission Shakthi has been successfully tested.
Table of Content
Watch Mission Shakthi ASAT in Tamil
What is Anti-Satellite Missile:
We’ve heard about Missiles system to target other missiles, aircrafts or any other enemy targets within earth atmosphere.
Anti Satellite missile would target enemy object ( satellite ) in space, ie) Low Earth Orbit which is around 300KM altitude from earth’s surface.
How ASAT missile Works :
- ASAT missile is based on India’s Ballistic Missile Defence ( BMD ) which is fully indigenous technology developed by Indian scientists.
- ASAT missile can be launched from anywhere in India from mobile Launch Vehicle
- Launch vehicle is supported by Control Stations and Mission Control Centres.
- It’s two stage missile, the first stage gets separated and fall off, while second stage burns to reach target
- After crossing exosphere, heat shield in the missile separates and the dome in the missile looks for the target.
- With accurate guidance from ground based radars, and on board navigation systems, the missile would intercept, hit and kill the satellite in space.
- From Launch to HIT, all it takes only 3 minutes to kill the enemy satellite
This is how the technology works.
Countries having ASAT technology ?
After U.S, Russia, China, India becomes 4th nation to join the elite space powers to have this system.
Not even countries from Europe have developed this Anti Satellite technologies though they’re highly involved in Space Research technologies with its ESA – European Space Agency.
Why Such Delay ?
This same question was asked by reporters to DRDO scientists, and the response was shocking.
Yes, this technology could have already been developed had the previous govt gave positive response to the proposal made by then DRDO head.
So, when the govt changed, the proposals were submitted to present Narendra Modi govt, and was given green signal to go ahead with funds.
After three years of work, the technology has finally been successfully tested.
This is really proud moment for every Indians, and should thank ISRO / DRDO scientists for making it possible.