Anna Univ Syllabus
Syllabus for 4th Semester Electronics and Communication Engineering Students, Download and Share with your Friends . Check here for Even Semester Syllabus ( ordered by 4th Sem, 6th Sem, 8th Sem ) for all branches .
Info about Syllabi
Semester : 4th Sem
Branch : Electronics & Communication Engineering ( ECE )
Subject : Communication Theory
Sub Code : EC2252
Univ : Anna University & Affiliated Colleges
EC 2252 COMMUNICATION THEORY
To study the various analog communication fundamentals viz., Amplitude modulation and demodulation, angle modulation and demodulation. Noise performance of various receivers and information theory with source coding theorem are also dealt.
- To provide various Amplitude modulation and demodulation systems.
- To provide various Angle modulation and demodulation systems.
- To provide some depth analysis in noise performance of various receiver.
- To study some basic information theory with some channel coding theorem.
UNIT I AMPLITUDE MODULATION SYSTEMS 10
Review of Spectral Characteristics of Periodic and Non-periodic signals; Generation and Demodulation of AM, DSBSC, SSB and VSB Signals; Comparison of Amplitude Modulation Systems; Frequency Translation; FDM; Non – Linear Distortion.
UNIT II ANGLE MODULATION SYSTEMS 8
Phase and Frequency Modulation; Single tone, Narrow Band and Wideband FM; Transmission Bandwidth; Generation and Demodulation of FM Signal.
UNIT III NOISE THEORY 8
Review of Probability, Random Variables and Random Process; Guassian Process; Noise – Shot noise, Thermal noise and white noise; Narrow band noise, Noise temperature; Noise Figure.
UNIT IV PERFORMANCE OF CW MODULATION SYSTEMS 10
Superheterodyne Radio receiver and its characteristic; SNR; Noise in DSBSC systems using coherent detection; Noise in AM system using envelope detection and its FM system; FM threshold effect; Pre-emphasis and De-emphasis in FM; Comparison of performances.
UNIT V INFORMATION THEORY 9
Discrete Messages and Information Content, Concept of Amount of Information, Average information, Entropy, Information rate, Source coding to increase average information per bit, Shannon-Fano coding, Huffman coding, Lempel-Ziv (LZ) coding, Shannon’s Theorem, Channel Capacity, Bandwidth- S/N trade-off, Mutual information and channel capacity, rate distortion theory, Lossy Source coding.
TUTORIAL 15 TOTAL : 60 PERIODS
1. Dennis Roddy & John Coolen – Electronic Communication (IV Ed.), Prentice Hall of
2. Herbert Taub & Donald L Schilling – Principles of Communication Systems
( 3rd Edition ) – Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
1. Simon Haykin, Communication Systems, John Wiley & sons, NY, 4
2. Bruce Carlson – Communication Systems. (III Ed.), Mc Graw Hill.
3. B.P.Lathi, Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems, Third Edition, Oxford .
Anna Univ Syllabus for ece, ec2252 communication theory syllabus, ece 4th sem syllabus